Monday, October 6, 2014

The Almost Never Beginnings

I'm quite convinced that Mr. Gadberry and I were destined for one another.  He is kind, funny, and pretttttty perfect for me in just about every way.  Even still, we almost missed each other.  LIKE ALMOST A DOZEN TIMES.


Missed opportunity #1:

I decided many months before starting college that I wanted to be in one of the few buildings in Heritage {on-campus housing at BYU} that had a 2-to-1 boy/girl ratio.  Everywhere else had double the number of girls than boys.  At the awkward age of 18 {if we're being real, the awkward stage lasted from age 11-22}, I had precisely zero game and needed everything in my favor when it came to the dating world.  Therefore, I signed up for that perfect dorm and had sweet dreams of ice cream dates with rosy cheeked Mormon boys.  

Meanwhile, Michael had absolutely no idea that he was signing up to live in one of the few buildings in Heritage that had a 2-to-1 boy/girl ratio.  This was a freshman boy's worst nightmare.

If everything would have gone as planned, Michael and I would have been in the same ward {local church congregation} that semester as baby freshmen.  However, my love of sleep was greater than that of boys {the ratio!}, and I switched into a dorm closer to campus at the last minute, so that I might have a five minute shorter walk in the morning.  THAT'S ONE MORE HIT OF THE SNOOZE BUTTON, OKAY?!?  

Missed opportunity #2:

Despite me moving away from him, we met for the very first time our freshman year of college at Brigham Young University.  Neither of us can remember that exact moment in August 2010 where we first laid eyes on our future companion, but we're 39.8% sure that it happened.  

At BYU, for your first semester of college, they require you to be in a "bundle," which means that you are grouped together with a bunch of other noobs for two general classes.  Michael and I had a Book of Mormon religion class and Ancient History together.  To be perfectly honest, I was barely awake for the first class and I did nothing but play Hearts during the second class, so we have approximately one memory of each other from the first four months of knowing of one another's existence.  What I DO remember is having a semi-serious addiction to Hearts, yet somehow still being indescribably awful at it.  How can one person play so much, but suck so bad???  My winning streak is two, people.  TWO.  

Actually, brb....imma go play some Hearts.

.....

Alright, I'm back.  I tried to "shoot the moon."  I failed to "shoot the moon." 

Missed opportunity #3:

Michael became friends with a bunch of people from my freshman ward of 150 people.  Not me though.  Clearly, I was not cool enough for him.  Seriously though...look at the difference between us:


Harry Potter nerd.  {11.19.2010}

Such a cute little Justin Bieber look-a-like! {10.12.2010}

Anyway, he moved into my ward to be with his friends.  Even in group settings, we very rarely hung out.

Missed opportunity #4:

Not only did he move into my ward, but he became my FHE brother!  For those of you who are super confused by this term, it just is a make-shift family our ward put us into since we were away at college.  The group only had 18 people in it and met once a week.  He even became the FHE father to me and my group.  {Insert ridiculous joke about me marrying my father here}.

He remained wholly uninterested in me, despite the frequency of seeing each other.

Missed opportunity #5:

Our church has a program called "home teaching" that pairs two guys up to visit a couple of people in the ward to make sure all is well.  I'll give you one guess as to who Michael was assigned to teach during our Freshman year.

--

Michael and I FINALLY let destiny have it's way in the fall of 2013, THREE YEARS after we met.  I'm so glad I decided to stop being stubborn long enough to see what the universe was trying to show me all along. :)

{09.01.2014}



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a match made in heaven!! Scott is convinced I taught him at the MTC in a large group meeting! Crazy fate!
    Forever Prez of the Gadberries fan club!

    ReplyDelete